By: Heather McMechan Special to the Boca and Delray newspapers
Is anyone shocked that spring break is this month? If you didn’t plan a vacation and you are staying close to South Florida, I wanted to share the scoop on 5 things you can check out this month.
- Delray Beach St. Patrick’s Day Festival. The festival will be two days of shenanigans that you can’t miss. The St. Patrick’s Day Festival and Pre-Party have moved from Old School Square to the Delray Beach Tennis Center located at 201 West Atlantic Ave. Join the Festival for live music, beer and cocktails, food trucks, arts and crafts vendors, games, raffles, and kids’ activities. On Friday, March 15, enjoy the Friday Night Parade Pre-Party from 5-10 p.m. Admission is free at the Delray Beach Tennis Center.
On Saturday, March 16, the St. Patrick’s Day Festival is happening from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is free. Enjoy food, cold beer and cocktails, live music, entertainment, games, vendors and kids’ area. The festival at Delray Tennis Center is the perfect place to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. The Parade Day starts at the Delray Beach Tennis Center.
- Take a Manatee Lagoon Tour. Go on a walking tour of the visitor center and learn about manatee anatomy, physiology and the importance of GPS tracking devices, as well as the Lake Worth Lagoon. Meet at the manatee skeleton display at the entrance of the building. Also get the scoop on their Artful Learning for Kids where you learn about ocean creatures as you create your own painting under the instruction of our Manatee Masters. Kids’ classes are open to children ages 6 to 12. Registration opens at 3 p.m. on the Saturday of the weekend prior to each class. Cost is free, but pre-registering is required.
- Sugar Sand Park Community Center is making Spring Break fun for the whole family this year with programs, classes and activities from March 18-25. This year’s theme, “Up Up and Away,” will feature activities such as ceramic painting, a puppet-building workshop, and The Great Space Caper in the Willow Theatre. This family-friendly show follows famous space explorer Buzby as he searches for a home for his new friend Galax. Tickets are $8 for adults and $6 for children 12 & under; attendees of all ages must have a ticket. Tickets can be purchased in person at the Box Office, by calling 561.347.3948, or online at www.willowtheatre.org.
Programs during the week include Bright & Smart – Engineering Skills for Kids Coding, Robotics & Engineering, Kidzart, Joy Deco Enterprises Fun & Fitness Activities program, Dawson Digital Art School Introduction to Computer Animation, Drama Kids of South Palm Beach County, and more. New this year will be Circle of Friends for children with special needs, where kids ages 4-15 will participate in games in activities to assist with social skills practice.
The Explorium will host their Spring Break Blast from March 18-22 for grades 1-5. Campers will perform activities and experiments, play games, and more. Starlab Adventure (March 22) will give kids the opportunity to explore the galaxy in an inflatable planetarium.
To register for programs, call the Community Center at 561.347.3900. Information is also available on the website at www.SugarSandPark.org.
- Get Tickets For The Big Bounce House America. The World’s Biggest Bounce House is coming to Boca Raton. America’s Biggest Inflatable Obstacle Course will host slides, ball pits, a 60-foot-tall maze and more! Go to thebibbounceamerica.com.
- Delray Beach Library presents Family Stories in the Garden. On Saturday, March 16 from 10 a.m.-noon, the Delray Beach Library will be hosting a fun and interactive Family Reading Day in the garden. This complimentary event will offer children different nature reading nooks set up for stories both in English and Haitian Creole. Children can roam the garden to find the words hidden amongst the flowers and plants in a word scavenger hunt. There will be a special craft to go along with the activities. Light snacks will be served. Books, gardens, sunshine and family set the stage for a morning filled with community and learning. Families of all ages welcome. Delray Beach Children’s Garden is located at 137 SW 2nd Ave.