By Paula Detwiller Special to The Pineapple If you like to play casino games, taste wine, keep fit, and/or play soccer, you’re in for a fun weekend May 16 – 18. That’s when the Delray Beach Athletic Club (DBAC), provider of youth soccer programs in the city for the past 36 years, will sponsor two major fundraising events to benefit the club’s scholarship program. Meanwhile, B.E.A.S.T. Fitness of Delray Beach, which regularly trains the club’s young soccer players in speed and agility, will sponsor a third community event that weekend. As a nonprofit organization, the Delray Beach Athletic Club is supported entirely by player registration fees and private donations. The club has a time-honored tradition of offering scholarships (reduced registration fees) so that no player is turned away due to financial hardship. “We strive to create opportunities for each and every child in the Delray Beach community to play soccer in our club,” says Steve Burgess, Director of Soccer Operations. “This big fundraiser weekend will help us do that, and also get folks together for a really good time.” Here’s how the weekend shapes up: Friday, May 16 2nd Annual “Vino Las Vegas”
- 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Delray Beach Center for the Arts at Old School Square, Historic Gymnasium
- Featuring: Casino games, Texas Hold ‘Em poker, finger foods, wine tasting and craft beer from Saltwater Brewery in Delray Beach
- Prizes for casino game winners. Prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place Texas Hold ‘Em players with a grand prize value of over $1,000
- For seat reservations (required) and tickets, visit www.delrayac.com.
Saturday, May 17 Family Fitness Fun Day
- Compliments of B.E.A.S.T. Fitness • 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Delray Beach Community Center (next to Tennis Center)
- Free to the public, all kids and adults welcome
- Featuring: friendly fitness competitions, raffle with prizes
Sunday, May 18 “Just for Kicks”: the inaugural Delray Beach Corporate 5 v 5 Tournament
- 3 p.m. until early evening
- Seacrest Soccer Complex and Hilltopper Field
- Eight local companies will field teams and compete for the championship.
- Teams will consist of seven employees (including at least two women) plus two players from DBAC’s U14 boys team.
- Corporate entry fee: $1,000.
- “5 v 5” soccer is a fast-paced game played on a smaller field with just five players from each team on the field at any time.
- Participating corporate team members will get special deals at the “Vino Las Vegas” event on Friday.
- For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Burgess says the goal (no pun intended) is to showcase the club’s 14- and 15-year-old players in the Corporate 5 v 5 Tournament. Why? Because they are all Delray Beach residents going to local middle schools and heading for Atlantic High School eventually. Such a tight demographic is rare in club soccer, says Burgess. “When kids get to be 14 or 15, many of them leave competitive sports programs, and athletic clubs then have to broaden their reach, to bring kids in from all over the region,” he explains. “But we don’t have that issue. Our U14 team is all-Delray, and we’re proud of that fact.” Local businesses wishing to give back to the community through an event sponsorship of any amount are encouraged to contact Burgess at (954) 557-8220.