DELRAY BEACH, FL – Delray Beach Center for the Arts announces the South Florida premiere of the Seagate Hotel & Spa World of Golf: The Gary Wiren Collection and Fine Art from the Academy of Golf Art. Both exhibitions are on display in the Cornell Museum of Art & American Culture, through April 21, 2013. Exhibit hours are Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. and Sunday, 1-4:30 p.m. Admission is $10 general, $6 seniors and students (w/ID), $3 children and free for ages 5 and under. Hailed as one of the finest private collections of golf memorabilia in the world, this interactive display not only depicts golf – its equipment, legends, events and history – but also the great stories that go with them. With Delray Beach and Palm Beach County in the heart of the nation’s most concentrated upscale golf, this extensive private collection, owned by Dr. Gary Wiren,is expected to draw thousands of visitors. The avid golfer can expect to experience things they have never come in contact with before… no matter how long they have played the game. The non-golfer will be pleasantly surprised! “The viewer’s first image will be the beauty of the game, and the last one will be the enjoyment that comes from being a golfer,” Dr. Wiren explains. “This interactive experience will be educational, motivational, and enjoyable… which all translates to a good time.” The exhibit idea came through Boynton Beach resident Kevin Hammer, a lifetime golfer who was the No. 2-ranked junior in the U.S.
- One of the world’s most historically interesting golf ball, club, and tee collections with items dating back to the 1500’s.
- Unique subjects include “Golf ’s Greatest Trick-Shot Performers;” “The History of Miniature Golf;” “Golf on Comic Book Covers;” “What’s New is Old,” with modern equipment ideas that were around 100 years ago; “Golf on the Moon…the Ball, the Stamp, and the Man;” and “Golfing Sheet Music,” 1890’s to now, and much more.
- Fred Astaire doing “The Golf Dance”
- Women in golf
- Golf collectibles from silver jewelry to radiator caps and much more
- Golf’s Greatest Quotes
- Golf quiz questions
- Putt with putters from 1890, 1925, and 2012 to compare.
- Feel the actual formed molded grips of the hands of Johnny Miller, Kathy Whitworth, Bob Toski and Arnold Palmer.
- Listen to the music of three of the golf pieces from the sheet music.
Enhancing the golf collection is fine art on loan from the Academy of Golf Art. This stunning display of oils, watercolors and acrylics were created by four of America’s most highly recognized golf artists, including David Coolidge, Leslie B. DeMille, Linda Hartough, and George T. Lawrence, Jr. Exhibition Title Sponsor is The Seagate Hotel & Spa. Presenting Sponsor is Kevin Hammer, Barry Rubin and Larry Eaton of Merrill Lynch Wealth Management. Additional sponsors include PGA Tour Super Store, Quail Ridge Country Club and Union Restaurant.