By: Christine King Special to the Boca and Delray newspapers
With the children returning to school, the landscape shifts for everyone, including those without families, we tend to reflect on the humdrum of past school years. Driving time is longer, children abound and routines change. This year let’s set the reset button and re-approach this season with a shining light of accomplishment and organization. Establishing a sense of excitement and renewal instead of dread and growling is more productive and provides something to look forward to rather than a time when many wish to run away.
If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a million times; organization is the key to success. Without it, all systems fail, and you fall back into the dull, same old habits of years past.
If you’ve read any of my previous articles, you understand while planning schedules, meals, and workouts, involving the family or friends is one of the keys to success. However, this season engage them beginning at step one: determining the week’s schedule. Many have turned to apps rather than the wall calendar with colorful post-its to improve daily structure. The method isn’t important. Having one and using it faithfully is critical.
Here are three popular apps for busy families:
- Google Calendar: It’s free, simple, and available on all platforms. The color-coding feature resembles the formerly used wall calendar, and it’s simple to allocate tasks, appointments, activities, and more. The ability to share calendars and set permissions allows the entire family, nanny, and housekeeper to have access, which makes for a seamless week.
- Evernote: Has a basic free plan with enough features to keep you on point. Easily create lists, tasks, and reminders and share with your tribe. The ability to record and share audio notes is great for people on the go
- Trello: Known as a business project management tool, families use Trello to systemize their lives effectively. The electronic corkboard keeps the week properly arranged and easy to see at a glance. Like the other apps, Trello can be shared with everyone, and users can add tasks, notes, appointments, and hundreds of other elements.
Once the most useful app for your lifestyle is selected, gather the family together and begin adding the basics. Excite the group about the cool features and how it’ll provide them more time for fun. Teach the children how to properly use the app and give them the responsibility to keep it updated and to add unexpected needs or events.
Instead of the gunshot approach, where essential items, including self-care, are often forgotten, take charge this year and allow yourself the opportunity to schedule time for the health and sanity for you and those in your household.
Choosing an organizational system and sticking with it is life-changing. New season, new system, new lifestyle habits. Be Specific! For example, input your morning routine.
- 6 a.m.: wake up
- 6:30 a.m.: breakfast
- 7 a.m.: workout
Add in reminders and alerts for:
- Mini meals every three hours
- Water breaks
- No sitting for more than one hour
- Family exercise/activity time
Every week, schedule your food prep day. Include your family and another family or a friend.
Don’t forget to enter time for reading, meditation, and date night. The functionality of using an app shows you there is time for everything. Rather than sloughing through the next few weeks and months, you’ll have a newfound appreciation for the ability to accomplish what’s important and necessary for you to live a healthier, happier life. Not to mention significantly reducing stress levels.